Asbury’s COVID-19 Prevention and Response Measures
Valuing residents and associates is a Core Value of this organization, and our highest priority and concern is ensuring the safety and well-being of those who live and work at our communities. In keeping with that, we continue to aggressively work to minimize the risks of the COVID-19 virus. Asbury monitors and follows recommendations coming from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and state and local health officials. Our response is being led by the highly qualified and experienced Asbury Communities Clinical Team. (Meet the team here.) Our communities’ leadership teams are in daily communication with the Asbury COVID-19 Incident Command Center to discuss and adjust operational procedures accordingly.
As testing supplies and laboratory resources become more available in each of our markets, Asbury will continue to focus on testing residents and associates for COVID-19 as a key element of our prevention and containment strategies for the virus. Asbury will continue to ensure that screening processes and infection prevention and control protocols, algorithms, and technology are implemented based on the most reliable evidence available.
Ongoing Infection-Control Measures:
- Active screening of associates, residents, and essential visitors using the updated CDC guidelines
- Proper use of Personal Protective Equipment by associates across our communities
- Hand hygiene reinforced daily for all associates
- Protective measures regularly communicated to associates, residents, and family members
- Strict isolation and quarantine measures practiced as appropriate, with designated areas or rooms for residents impacted in the assisted living / personal care, and skilled nursing buildings
- Regular communication with state and local health departments on the evolving pandemic
- Daily monitoring of local area COVID-19 activity, and federal, state, and local government communications
Early and Ongoing Preventive Measures at Our Communities:
- In early March Asbury Communities suspended visitation across all levels of living at our campuses as required by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). All community events, resident group activities and trips were suspended.
- Daily screening procedures are in place for all associates and the limited essential visitors coming to our campuses. This includes employees, such as home care aides, who may be coming from outside agencies. Additional screening procedures at the time of admission or move-in (for residents) or upon hire (for associates) are in place.
- We continue to reinforce with residents and associates that it is imperative to follow all state mandates for COVID-19.
- All Asbury communities are complying with CDC guidelines on personal protective equipment, including the use of appropriate masks, for clinical staff. In addition, cloth masks have been made available to all non-clinical associates on our campuses, and they have been directed to wear them while at work. See more regarding mask use.
- If residents receive services from private duty or agency-based caregivers who are not on our preferred list of providers, they were asked to check with their management to ensure that they are following the latest infection control guidelines.
- Dining rooms at our communities are closed. Residents in assisted living or personal care and skilled nursing are receiving meals in their rooms with assistance as needed, and residential living residents have the option to order meals. Delivery fees have been waived.
- We are accepting groceries at our campuses from delivery services or family members and facilitating their delivery to residents – and we are encouraging residents to use delivery services rather than go out to purchase their own. Our dining partner Sodexo has made limited groceries available for purchase on our campuses.
- We have posted signage regarding prevention techniques, our visitation and group event changes, and actions to take if you feel ill around all of our communities – and we continue to communicate to those who live in our residential neighborhoods the importance of maintaining state stay-at-home measures.
- We are working to proactively increase supplies. We are fortunate to count Sodexo, a global corporation specializing in dining and facilities management, as our partner. They bring additional resources to bear – including associates should the need arise.
- We have added supplemental education and resources for associates, including videos on prevention practices by Vice President of Clinical Excellence, Skip Margot.