What Is a Planned Gift?
A planned gift is a future donation given to a charity through a will or financial tool such as a charitable gift annuity, charitable trust, or gift of life insurance that takes into account their charitable wishes and values. This legacy plan is a personal decision that each person should make in accordance with their financial well-being and in collaboration with their financial planning professional.
A bequest or other planned gift may have the following advantages:
- offer greater, long-term philanthropic support than you might be able to offer with an outright gift
- benefit you and your family with income sources, tax deductions or relief, or other advantages
The Asbury Foundation Heritage Society recognizes all donors who have included an Asbury community in their wills or estate plans. Through the Heritage Society, the Asbury Foundation expresses its appreciation to those who have made a planned gift, of any amount, for the future benefit of their friends and neighbors.
What Are Planned Giving Tools?
1. Life Income Program (Charitable Gift Annuity)
The Life Income Program, also known as a charitable gift annuity (CGA), provides you with predictable tax-advantaged income while making a gift to your community. This is a contract in which a donor exchanges a gift of cash or appreciated property for a guaranteed fixed income each year for the rest of the donor’s life. It may be of particular interest to those discouraged by low earnings on cash investments.
2. Charitable Bequests
Including in your will a gift of a specific amount or a percentage of your estate enables you to control your assets during your lifetime while providing an important future gift to an Asbury community.
Charitable bequests are wonderful options for all donors, but especially those donors who wish to retain control of their assets during their lifetime. If you wish to support the Asbury Foundation through your will, there are several options you may consider:
- Specific Dollar Amount or Property: “I, [name], of [city, state, zip], give, devise and bequeath to Asbury Foundation, Inc., 5285 Westview Drive, Suite 200, Frederick, MD 21703, [amount] for the [Asbury Community] [Fund].”
- Percentage of Estate: “I, [name], of [city, state, zip], give, devise and bequeath to Asbury Foundation, Inc., 5285 Westview Drive, Suite 200, Frederick, MD 21703, [percentage] of my estate for the [Asbury community] [Fund].”
- Residuary: “I, [name], of [city, state, zip], give, devise and bequeath to Asbury Foundation, Inc., 5285 Westview Drive, Suite 200, Frederick, MD 21703, all of the residue or remainder of my estate for the [Asbury community] [Fund].”
3. Charitable Trusts
Charitable trusts are plans that can reduce income and capital gains taxes for you and your heirs as well as potentially increase your income.
4. Beneficiary Designations
Naming Asbury Foundation as a beneficiary of all or a portion of your life insurance, entrance fee refund, parking space deposit refund, or retirement plan is an easy way to make a significant gift to your community and reduce taxes for you and your heirs.
This information is not intended as tax, legal, or financial advice. Consult your personal financial advisor for information specific to your situation.
Learn more about Planned Giving
Questions? Contact Asbury Foundation Staff
Asbury Foundation staff members are always available to answer any question or provide additional information. Please contact our Development Team.